The project developer will be Oulun Pysäköinti Oy, with Lemminkäinen Infra Oy as the turnkey contractor. Sito Oy is responsible for the architectural design of the project’s main facilities, rock facilities, transport arrangements and underground facilities.
The high-quality parking facility, Kivisydän, to be excavated at a depth of around 30 meters below Oulu city center, will use modern technology and become one of the best parking facilities in Finland in terms of functionality, safety and environmental attractiveness.
Based on its outstanding location close to services and below the very heart of the city, the new parking facility will promote the development of Oulu’s commercial center. It will also markedly increase the number of parking spaces.
The parking facility will mainly cater for the needs of short-term customer parking, but a limited number of long-term parking spaces for offices and residents will also be available.
The project will be completed step by step, with the first service facility to be ready for use in late 2014 and the parking facility itself in autumn 2015. The entire project is due for completion at the same time.
The spacious, accessible underground parking facility will feature
- two ramps
- nine access points to premises and streets in central Oulu, 25 elevators
- 900 parking spaces, 2,7 x 5.0m in size, and an option to expand up to 1,500 spaces
- a street network for vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- a service tunnel under central Oulu
- service vehicles will be directed to service facilities through the service tunnel
- service facilities for city center blocks, their extent being subject to separate agreement
- a civil defense shelter for 3,000 people
The parking facility will be naturally aligned with the street network above
- A major technical innovation will be the uncomplicated layout of the facility
- Users will easily be able to tell where they are in relation to the city center.
- Easy to navigate and move around.
- Thanks to the numerous elevators connecting the facility with environment above, the impact area will be large.